Time and location
12 Mar, 19:00 – 18 Mar, 19:00
Rocca Pietore, 32023 Rocca Pietore, Province of Belluno, Italy
About the experience
- Activities: Ski-mountaineering & Ice/mixed climbing
- Base camp: Walden climbing house in Rocca Pietore (BL)
- Where: Dolomites
- Level: good skiers and minimum level of alpinism knowledge
- Participants: from 2 to 4
- Period: Winter and Spring
- Days: 7
- Nights: 6
- Climbing days: 6
- Scheduled dates: upon request
Price: 1.500€ per person
The Dolomites are the largest and most spectacular limestone climbing area in the European Alps with towers rising steeply up to 1,600 metres (5,250 ft) above gentle alpine meadows.
Ski-touring & mixed/ice climbing is the ultimate way to explore the mountains in winter, and what better place to learn how to do this than the Dolomites? Indeed, there’s no better way to experience winter in the Dolomites than on a pair of skis or with crampons and ice axes.
The Dolomites are a UNESCO site that comprises a mountain range in the northern Italian Alps, numbering 18 peaks which rise to above 3,000 metres and cover 141,903 ha. It features some of the most beautiful mountain landscapes anywhere, with vertical walls, sheer cliffs and a high density of narrow, deep and long valleys. A serial property of nine areas that present a diversity of spectacular landscapes of international significance for geomorphology marked by steeples, pinnacles and rock walls, the site also contains glacial landforms and karst systems. It is characterised by dynamic processes with frequent landslides, floods and avalanches. The property also features one of the best examples of the preservation of Mesozoic carbonate platform systems, with fossil records.
Beside these natural landmarks, this area is characterised by its breath-taking rocky landscapes, pristine slopes, excellent food and friendly locals. This trip is perfect if you are a skier or climber who is curious to try ski-touring and ice/mixed climbing.
Lorenzo, our local and demanding guide, will accompany you step by step, curve by curve, working with you to improve your technique and develop the necessary skills to safely lead an expedition.
Given the abundance of winter climbs in the Dolomites, we can adjust the itinerary during our week to the preferred challenge level of our clients and the weather.
The climbing/skiing program is decided on a daily basis based on technique and experience.
We are going to leave (early) in the morning (depending on weather conditions) and come back in the afternoon.
Lunch will be a snack while climbing/skiing. We are going to have a great dinner at Walden Climbing House or at some restaurants depending on your preference.
- Day 1: Arrival at Walden Climbing House and have a brief on the Dolomites, the most interesting ski mountaineering tours/ice climbing and mixed climbing routes, mountains around, and eventually free-ride or piste skiing.
- Days 2-7: Every day we will climb a route based on the grade, technique, alpinism knowledge, and overall experience
- Day 7: Last climbing day and return home!
Huge valleys surrounded by majestic peaks and woods of powder snow where you can dive into: these itineraries are suitable for those who already have an experience in ski touring or for those who have started recently and want to get away from groomed tracks. Skis on, you will immerse yourself in some of the most popular landscapes of the Dolomites.
Ice/Mixed climbing is very popular in the Dolomites. In many areas of the Dolomites there are important watercourses, along which there are fabulous waterfalls. During the winter season many of the waterfalls freeze over and give climbers the opportunity to enjoy ice climbing. In the localities between South Tyrol, Trentino and Belluno there are also annual events of international level, such as the UIAA ICE CLIMBING WORLD CUP in Corvara.
What is included
- 6 days of climbing/skiing
- 6 nights at the Walden Climbing House
- 6 breakfasts at the Walden Climbing House
- Certified Mountain Guide for the entire duration of the trip
- Pre-departure e-meeting with the guide and climbing partner
What is excluded
- Travel from your hometown to Rocca Pietore (BL), Dolomites
- Restaurants and bars
- Dinner (at Walden Climbing House: 15 € on average)
- Fuel for the short transfers
- Anything not detailed in the "What's included" section